This posdcast is all about mastering daily American English.
by the book 完全按照规章制度办事,按照规定,照章办事
go by the book 依章办事
play by the book按规定来
do something by the book按规定做某事
run something by the book 按规定管理、运营
The manager does everything by the book, hewon’t approve this exception.经理办事很死板,他不会破例批准的。
He suggestedthat we go by the book and not accept the proposal. 他建议我们照章办事,不要接受这个提议。
a closed book完全不了解,搞不懂
closed adj. 关闭的;合上的
与an open book意思相反
He issuch a closed book, he never talks about himself.他这人很封闭,从来不谈论他自己。
I don’t know much about Economics,it is a closed book to me. 我不太懂经济学,对我来说就像天书一样。
An open book (某物)容易理解;(某人)坦诚,没有秘密
open adj. 打开的
My life is an open book.我的生活很简单。
There’s no secret between us, she’s an open book to me.我们之间没有秘密,我对她是了如指掌。
I wish these legal contracts were an open book.我真希望我能读懂这些法律合同。
Adam says he's an open book, but I've seen him sneaking out of his house late at night. Adam说他没什么秘密,但是我看到过他大半夜偷偷溜出他的房间。
In the flesh 本人;亲自;(见到)真人
flesh 肉;肉体
You wouldn’t believe this, I met my idol Liu Dehua in the flesh the other day, he even hugged me.你肯定不会相信,前几天我见到了我的偶像刘德华本人了,他甚至还拥抱我了。
I have heard a lot about you, I can’t believe now you’re standing in front of me in the flesh, I’m thrilled. 我听说过很多关于你的事,真不敢相信你现在就站在我面前,我好激动。
Inperson 本人,亲自,当面
I’ve heard that Liu Dehua is coming here in person, is that true? 我听说刘德华本人要来这,是真的吗?
I wanna talk to him in person.我想跟他当面谈。
A third wheel/ a fifth wheel 多余;电灯泡
third 第三个
fifth 第五个
wheel 车轮
I don’t think I’ll join you this time. Whenever I go out with you guys, I just feel like a third wheel.我这次就不跟你一块了,每次跟你们一块出去,我都感觉我像个电灯泡。
I just wanted to feel like part of the team instead of a fifth wheel.我只是想让自己感觉是这个团队的一员,而不是多余的。
I didn't realize that the party was for couples only, so when I showed up alone, I felt like a fifth wheel.我不知道这个聚会是只针对情侣的,所以当我一个人出现在那的时候,我感觉自己很多余。
Why the long face? 干嘛拉着个脸啊?怎么闷闷不乐的?
long face 长脸;闷闷不乐;不悦的脸色
What’s wrong? Why the long face? 怎么了?怎么闷闷不乐的?
Hey, Jack, why the long face? Is something bothering you?Jack,干嘛拉着个脸啊?有什么烦心事吗?
He came to me with a very long face and said that he had failed the exam.他拉长个脸来找我,说他考试没及格。
Go easy on someone/ something 手下留情;温和对待;节约使用
Go easy on him, he is my friend. 对他手下留情啊,他是我朋友。
The doctor told me to go easy on the chilies, but I just can’t.医生要我少吃辣椒,但是我做不到啊。
Hey, go easy on the ketchup, there's not much left.番茄酱你悠着点用,剩的没多少了。
Be like looking/searching for a needle in a haystack 如同大海捞针
like 像
look for/search for 寻找
needle 针
haystack 干草堆
There’re like, thousands of files piled up,it’ll be like looking for a needle in a haystack.有成千上万份文件堆在一起,这将如同大海捞针。
The police told her that searching for the dog was like looking for a needle in a haystack.警察告诉她寻找这条狗就像大海捞针。
It soon became clear that we were looking for a needle in a haystack. 很快我们发现,我们就是在大海捞针。
roll up one’s sleeves 撸起袖子,准备开始干活;准备大干一场
roll 卷
sleeve 袖子
We have a long day ahead, so let's roll up our sleeves and start! 今天将会是漫长的一天,所以让我们撸起袖子,开始干活吧。
I know you're disappointed, but you need to roll up your sleeves and redouble your efforts.我知道你很失望,但你需要卷起袖子加倍努力。
jump to conclusions 过早下结论,贸然断定
jump 跳
conclusion 结论
Let’s not jump to conclusions.咱们先别这么快就下结论。
I know you saw her with a man, but don't jump to conclusions, talk to her first. 我知道你看到她和一个男人在一起,但不要妄下结论,你先跟她谈一下。
blow one’s mind 令某人极度震惊,感到意外;令人刮目相看
blow 爆炸
mind 思想,头脑
That was my first time to watch the show,it really blew my mind.那是我第一次看着个节目,太让我震惊了。
Prepare to have your mind blown.准备好大开眼界吧。
It blew my mind that she had her hair dyed green.她把头发染成了绿色,真是让我大吃一惊。
mind-blowing adj. 令人感到震惊的;给人印象极深的
It absolutely would be mind-blowing news to him if you tell him.如果你告诉他的话,这绝对会是一个让他震惊的消息。
The special effects in this movie are pretty mind-blowing.这部电影里的特效真的很震撼。
mindblower n. 令人感到震撼的事物
This technology is a real mindblower.这真是一项令人震撼的技术。
Your feedback is valuable to us. Should you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems, please email us on [email protected] or join Moon.FM Telegram Group where you can talk directly to the dev team who are happy to answer any queries.